With so many summer camps to choose from, how do parents know what to look for in finding the right fit for their kids?
Written by Sarah Antrim
Not all children are the same, so what might be the right fit for one may not be for another. Never fear, ActivityHero is here to help!
We’ve put together some tips on how to choose the best summer camp programs for kids this year.
1. Think about what your child is getting out of the school year, and then consider what they’re missing.
A deeper connection to nature and the outdoors? An opportunity to build on the core academic subjects of the school year?
Determine what you think matters in your child’s development, and view summer as a chance to fill in the missing pieces.
2. Once you’ve narrowed down the subject matter, look for these things:
- Adult supervision that both inspires your kids and keeps them safe.
- A ratio of no more than 10 kids per staff member.
- Age group divisions for kids that span no more than 2-3 years.
- Positive reviews of the program’s effectiveness and
- A Director who is experienced, passionate, and organized.
3. Ask as many questions as possible. Here’s a few questions that parents should ask about summer camp programs:
- What is your program trying to accomplish with children?
- Who is the director? How many years have they been directing the camp? What does he/she look for in the staff he/she hires?
- Who is going to be working directly with my child? What is their education level? How are they trained?
- How do you develop your curriculum? What are the learning objectives of the program?
- Do high school students have direct supervisory responsibility for campers?
- What are the age groupings and camper to staff ratios?
4. Focus as much on who the people will be working with your child as you do the content.
No matter what the summer camp program, the people will drive what your child takes away from the experience.
5. Seek out programs that offer consistency and minimize transitions in location, staff, and fellow campers.
Choosing the best summer camp programs for kids is only possible if you make kids as comfortable and educated as possible about the process. Set your kids up for success by not signing them up for too many different camps.
Find out ahead of time what the first day check in scene will be like, then describe it to your child ahead of time so they know what it will be like. You want to avoid a lengthy separation process on the first day.
With the thousands of summer camp programs available, choosing the best for your kids can sometimes feel like trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. With these simple tips, you can help to set your kids up for success this summer.
Search all of our camp listings and find the perfect fit for your child, your schedule, and your budget at ActivityHero.com