Summer Learning Loss Facts2
- 1 month (equivalent) of overall learning is lost after summer vacation
- 3 months of math skills + 2 months of reading are lost over the summer
- 6 weeks is spent re-learning old material in the fall to make up for summer learning loss
Yes, these numbers sound scary, but don’t worry! Being informed is the first step and knowing that we’ve got you covered with solutions is the other key part of this process. Keep your kids engaged with these teacher-approved brain-building activities this summer.
60% of kids ages 6 to 17 say they love or like reading books for fun a lot.1 Kids gain more from reading when they actually enjoy it. Let them choose.
- Storybook Camp by Brandi’s Book Nook
- Writing, Reading, and Cooking by On-Demand Friendship Club
- Academic Writing by Communication Academy
- Write A Chapter Book by Lekha Writing Center
- Online Guided Reading Lesson (Free) by Hoot Reading
“Learning through play is about continuity; bringing together children’s spheres of life – home, school, and the wider world, and doing so over time.” Susan MacKay, Director of Teaching and Learning at Portland Children’s Museum.3 Kids’ math and vocabulary skills extend beyond worksheets and can be found in hobbies related to board games, S.T.E.A.M., sharing stories, and more.
- Chess Camp by New York Chess Academy (2021 ActivityHero Best of Winner!)
- Young Author Camp by Storymakery
- Storytelling + Public Speaking Camps by Lekha Writing Camp
- S.T.E.A.M. for Kids by The Art of Science
Paul Harris, a professor at the Harvard Graduate School of Education who studies imagination. “The imagination is absolutely vital for contemplating reality, not just those things we take to be mere fantasy.”4 Through imagination, kids expand their cognitive abilities to think, know, remember and experiment with new concepts. Even though it may not seem like it, they are learning! Familiar skills are being used to develop new ones.
- LEGO Creativity Camps by Ascendly
- Minecraft University: Game Designer by BrainStorm STEM Education
- Roblox & Minecraft Camps by CodeREV Kids
- Summer Art Adventure Camp by Young Art
- Super Duper Activity Kit Download (Free) by ActivityHero
Through exploration, curiosity is encouraged. With that, more experiences and interests for your kids emerge. Studies show that exploration also supports social-emotional development by allowing kids to build confidence for both independent and collaborative interactions with others. Try something new today.
- Fun Science and Engineering by EDMO
- Astronomy: Space Exploration by TeeterPal
- Pocketing Peru by Musical Learning
- Discover Volcanoes by Curious Mind Academy
- Scavenger Quest Download (Free) by ActivityHero
Create an account and profile for your kid to find even more personalized camps and classes at ActivityHero.